The holidays are here and the scammers are out in force. Their latest trick: fake apps. Starbucks started the first “retail app” years ago, and many stores have followed, but scammers are now creating fake apps that trick you into downloading them, and ask you to load your credit card information in these apps. You can guess what happens next.
Here are 5 things to keep in mind about this “Scam of The Week”:
- Be very judicious in deciding what app to download. Better safe than sorry.
- If you *do* decide to download an app, first thing to check is the reviews,
apps with few reviews or bad reviews are a big Red Flag.
- Never click on a link in any email to download a new app. Only go to
the website of the retailer to get a link to the legit app on the AppStore
or Google Play.
- Give as little information as possible if you decide to use an app.
- Be very, very reluctant to link your credit card to any app!
There is more information about this at the New York Times:
Let’s stay safe out there.